September 25-28, 2020: Black Hills, SD
Be there – or be not there.
Free – any shared expenses such as gas, group meals, etc. are split and paid to the organizer at the end of the trip.
Your own food
Your own gear
An open mind
A willingness to meet some dudes
Who: Ragtag group of dudes (Limited to 10 total) – Thanks, ‘rona
What: Get in the car and drive to the Black Hills to do/learn to do man stuff: hiking, climbing, caving, swimming, fishing, building forts, cooking camp meals, shooting guns, making music.
When: Sept. 25 (Friday) at 4:00 PM – 28th (Monday) evening – there will be the option to leave on Sunday evening if your work/life limits you from staying through Monday.
Why: Intentionally learn masculine skills from each other and have conversation in the car and around the camp that helps us to learn and grow in the areas that we want to pursue masculinity. The goal of this trip is to go outside of the normal and to genuinely follow our longings to be better men.
Where: Black Hills, SD – Custer State Park, Black Elk Wilderness
Creatio Men's Trip
What do we ask of you?
You are to provide your own gear, food, and plan for car-pooling. We will stop on the road to buy food and other consumable supplies. Please purchase food that will not be messy/hard to cook, and come with a willingness to step outside of your comfort zone with things such as meals/camp amenities. Any purchases that are made for the group will be split using cash or Venmo. We will also create a group chat for car-pool plans and any gear needs. Also, we ask that you research the Black Hills area and find some stuff that sounds interesting to you – and then be ready to tell us about what you find.
There will be a meeting of all trip participants a few days before we embark. We will work to coordinate this – in person is preferable, but there will be the option to virtually participate. This is important because we want to share in creating a vision for this trip and delegate roles and responsibilities amongst us – we want you to be a part of the planning process!
Let us know if you have any questions – and express your commitment soon. Feel free to invite others to come along; just confirm that there is a spot open for them (we are limited to 10 participants). We will not count you as a participant until you sign up online, and we want you to come!
“Adventure, with all its requisite danger and wildness, is a deeply spiritual longing written into the soul of man. The masculine heart needs a place where nothing is prefabricated, modular, nonfat, ziplock, franchised, on-line, microwavable. Where there are no deadlines, cell phones, or committee meetings. Where there is room for the soul. Where, finally, the geography around us corresponds to the geography of our heart.” – John Eldredge, Wild at Heart
Let’s give this thing a shot!
4:00 P.M. Meet at the Creatio office if you would like to caravan out – 623 Fox St. Denver, CO 80204
7:30 P.M. Arrive – set up camp and hang out for the evening
We will decide this as a group in the afternoon.
Go climbing near Sylvan Lake?
Caving in the afternoon?
Climb Black Elk Peak?
Mass in Custer
Go see Mt. Rushmore?
Drive up to Spearfish Canyon?
Eat at the best burger joint in the country?
Try to catch a mountain goat?
8:30 A.M. Breakfast, pack up camp.
We can keep chilling for the rest of the day or head back early. Up to individual people/their carpools
- Tent for yourself
- Cookstove and cookware
- Sleeping bag (packable, rated to under 30 Degrees F)
- Sleeping pad
- Day Pack (20-35L)
- Hiking boots/ shoes
- Camp Sandals (optional, but recommended)
- Non-cotton Dri-Fit Clothing – (1 underwear, 1 extra shirt – minimum)
- Non-cotton socks / Hiking Socks (Merino Wool)
- Hiking Pants and/or shorts (helpful to have non-cotton, also longer pants for cool nights and bugs)
- Layers (Down Jacket / Merino Wool or Fleece layers)
- Rain Jacket (Rain pants if you have them) – storms are unpredictable
- Water Bottles/ Bladder (2-3 L Capacity)
- Hat (Warm)
- Gloves (light)
- Sunglasses, hat
- Headlamp / Flashlight
- Camping bowl/plate and utensils
- Prescription and non-prescription medications
- Toiletries– toothbrush, toothpaste, contact case and solution (minimum)
- Snacks for the hike (Cliff bars, Trail Mix, Candies)
- Optional Items
- Climbing gear
- Fishing gear
- Helmet – (mountaineering or bike helmets for caving)
- Anything that might be fun – slackline, hacky sacks, frisbee, guns, throwing knives, cigars, etc
- Hiking Poles
- Multi-tool and/or Knife
- Phone (Camera)
- Tracking beacon
- Mountain Bike
- The venerable old Kukri
Health & Safety Information
We require all participants to review and follow these guidelines in response to the COVID-19 pandemic: (as of 6/1/20)
1. Masks – Masks must be worn at all times
2. Carpooling – Carpooling to/from starting points and the destination will not be allowed unless from the same household.
3. Symptom Checking – Participants must take their temperature 24 hours before and the day of, and report any symptoms to Creatio staff. They cannot participate if feeling ill.
4. Social Distancing – All participants must stay at least 6 feet apart from one another.
5. Hand Hygiene – All participants are recommended to carry hand hygiene supplies – hand sanitizer (70%) or biodegradable hand soap.
6. Travel Regulations – All participants and leaders will be required to follow government, state, and county regulations regarding travel distances and locations.