About This Trip
Join fellow young adults on an adventurous trip to California for backpacking in Death Valley! See the Mojave Desert as we drive from Las Vegas to California and back, with four days of backpacking in the beautiful Cottonwood and Marble Canyons in Death Valley. Feel free to spend time in Las Vegas before or after this experience!
Transportation, food, group gear, and all fees included. Just bring your gear and meet us in Las Vegas for an experience of a lifetime!
Contact Jack with any questions - email@example.com
- Ground Transportation
- All meals
- Park passes
- Campground fees
- Guided backpacking in Death Valley
- FLIGHTS to and from Las Vegas – meet us at LAS on your own!
- Trip Insurance
Missionary Guide, TBD
Creatio’s spirituality is focused on strengthening the four relationships: relationship with self, with one another, with nature and with God. We encourage all of our missionaries to be open to experience a deepening of these relationships while on our trips.
Creatio takes a holistic approach to improving lives by addressing material and spiritual wellbeing of the people we serve. We do this with a Catholic worldview as our foundation, however we encourage Catholics and non-Catholics to join us in encountering the beauty of creation and our Creator. All participants are encouraged to join in group activities such as discussions on faith-based topics or visiting Holy sites, but nobody will be forced to participate in specifically Catholic traditions and practices.
GETTING TO STARTING POINT
All participants must arrive in Las Vegas (LAS) by 12pm noon on Wednesday, November 10th. Participants will meet Creatio guides in the airport and we will drive to the trailhead.
Creatio guides will drop off participants at the Las Vegas airport Sunday, November 14th. At that time, the Experience will officially end.
All participants must have a plan for departure after 12pm noon on Sunday, November 14th or make other arrangements for lodging and travel.
Please wait until we have confirmed your participation in the experience to buy your flights. Please contact us if you’d like assistance choosing flights or connecting with other participants to travel together. You are responsible for your transportation and lodging should you choose to arrive early or leave later. If your flights are not within the time range given, you will be responsible to change your flight or pay the extra costs attributed to the change (cost of a new flight, transportation, lodging, etc…) Please feel free to communicate any problems you have.
Abilities and Gear Requirements
PLEASE NOTE: No experience or special skills are necessary, but all participants must be in good hiking shape (ready to do very strenuous physical activity), and be able to hike for at least 8 hours.
Personal gear is not included (jackets, boots, clothing, sleeping bag). Recommended location for backpacking gear rentals is your local REI.
- Arrive at Las Vegas Airport (LAS) by 12pm
- drive to Death Valley
- Grab gear, hike 3 miles into the backcountry, and camp for the night.
- Camp at Stovepipe Wells Campground (front-country campground with amenities)
- Drive back to Las Vegas on Sunday (11/14/21) and arrive at the airport by 11 AM (concluding official trip)
- Option to hang around and attend mass at noon
- Hike 9 miles to Cottonwood Spring
- Hike 8 Miles to Dead Horse Canyon spring
- Hike 10 Miles back to the cars
- Dinner at Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley
HEALTH AND SAFETY INFORMATION
There are currently no travel restrictions in place to travel to Nevada or California. The state recommends unvaccinated travelers take a test before traveling to CA, however it is not required.
For up-to-date health recommendations for California to go https://covid19.ca.gov/.
Las Vegas and Death Valley are relatively safe locations, but missionaries are encouraged to always be aware of their surroundings and belongings.
While in the wilderness there is an opportunity to see wildlife – some that aren’t very friendly. Missionaries will be briefed on safety precautions and protocols in advance led by Creatio guides who are Wilderness First Responders.
- Sleeping bag (packable, rated to 30 Degrees F)
- Sleeping pad
- Backpacking Pack (40-50L)
- Hiking boots/ shoes
- Camp Sandals (optional, but recommended)
- Non-cotton Dri-Fit Clothing – (1 underwear, 1 extra shirt – minimum)
- Non-cotton socks / Hiking Socks (Merino Wool)
- Hiking Pants and/or shorts (helpful to have non-cotton, also longer pants for cool nights and bugs)
- Layers (Down Jacket / Merino Wool or Fleece layers)
- Rain Jacket (Rain pants if you have them) – storms are unpredictable
- Water Bottles/ Bladder (2-3 L Capacity)
- Hat (Warm)
- Gloves (light)
- Sunglasses, hat
- Headlamp / Flashlight
- Camping bowl/plate and utensils
- Prescription and non-prescription medications (notify Trip Leader)
- Toiletries– toothbrush, toothpaste, contact case and solution (minimum)
- ID (Leave in secure location in backpack)
- Snacks for the hike (Cliff bars, Trail Mix, Candies)
- Optional Items
- Hiking Poles
- Multi-tool and/or Knife
- Phone (Camera)