August 14-16, 2020: Creatio Community East Coast – Dolly Sods Wilderness
Register now – Limited to 10 spots!
Email when this becomes available again
Free – any shared expenses such as gas, group meals, etc. are split and paid to the organizer at the end of the trip.
Your own food
Your own gear
An open mind
A willingness to meet new people
A desire to offer a helping hand
Join us for our 3rd Saturday Adventure, East Coast Edition! We will spend the weekend backpacking in the beautiful Dolly Sods Wilderness Area. This area features great views, wind carved sand stone, stunted red spruce, grassy meadows, and sphagnum bogs.
Creatio Community Experiences
What are they all about?
Creatio Community Experiences are free and open to all young adults (18-39). We are striving to bring our mission of encountering the beauty of creation and the Creator to as many people as possible. These allow us to do that by gathering as friends on local hikes, backpacking excursions, campouts, and other adventures. The only requirement is an open heart and a desire to encounter beauty!
These Experiences differ from our standard Creatio Experiences in that they are not formally guided by Creatio staff. Instead, volunteers, missionaries, and friends all offer a helping hand in making these Experiences happen and costs for gas, food, etc. are split between one another at the end of the trip. The Experience organizer may screen participants to ensure they have the necessary skills, experience, and/or gear necessary to participate.
We are Catholic Christians, however, you do not have to be religious to join on an adventure with us. Members of all faiths or no faith at all are welcome to participate with us! Feel free to talk about faith, life, or whatever else.
*If you wish to caravan with the Creatio Guides, you can meet in Chantilly, VA on Thursday evening and stay the night. (details to follow)
6:30 AM: A group will be leaving from Chantilly, VA to drive to the Bear Rocks Trailhead.
9:00 AM: Arrive at Bear Rocks Trailhead and begin backpacking.
Approximately 8 miles will be hiked day 1.
7:30 AM: Wake up, breakfast, and continue backpacking
5:00 P.M. Dinner, reflection, rest
Approximately 7.5 miles will be hiked day 2.
7:30 AM: Wake up, breakfast and hike out to cars.
11:30 AM: Arrive at cars, drive to church for mass.
Approximately 4 miles will be hiked day 3.
- Tent for yourself + housemates/family
- Cookstove and cookware
- Sleeping bag or sleeping bag liner (packable, for warm weather)
- Sleeping pad
- Hiking boots/ shoes
- Camp Sandals (optional, but recommended)
- Non-cotton Dri-Fit Clothing – (1 underwear, 1 extra shirt – minimum)
- Non-cotton socks / Hiking Socks (Merino Wool)
- Hiking Pants and/or shorts (helpful to have non-cotton, also longer pants for cool nights and bugs)
- Layers (Jacket / Merino Wool or Fleece layers)
- Rain Jacket (Rain pants if you have them) – storms may occur
- Water Bottles/ Bladder (2-3 L Capacity)
- Sunglasses, hat
- Headlamp / Flashlight
- Camping bowl/plate and utensils
- Prescription and non-prescription medications
- Toiletries– toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. (please limit all smell attracting belongings)
- ID (Leave in secure location in backpack)
- Optional Items
- Hiking Poles
- Multi-tool and/or Knife
- Phone (Camera)
- Water filtration system
Health & Safety Information
Here are the best practices we are encouraging everyone to follow in response to the COVID-19 pandemic: (as of 6/1/20)
1. Masks – Masks must be worn at all times
2. Carpooling – Carpooling to/from starting points and the destination will not be allowed unless from the same household.
3. Symptom Checking – Participants must take their temperature 24 hours before and the day of, and report any symptoms to Creatio staff. They cannot participate if feeling ill.
4. Social Distancing – All participants must stay at least 6 feet apart from one another.
5. Hand Hygiene – All participants are recommended to carry hand hygiene supplies – hand sanitizer (70%) or biodegradable hand soap.
6. Travel Regulations – All participants and leaders will be required to follow government, state, and county regulations regarding travel distances and locations.
Campsite location: 39.600542, -105.812724
Creatio’s spirituality is focused on strengthening the four relationships: relationship with self, with one another, with nature and with God. We encourage all of our missionaries to be open to experience a deepening of these relationships while on our trips.
Creatio takes a holistic approach to improving lives by addressing material and spiritual wellbeing of the people we serve. We do this with a Catholic worldview as our foundation, however, we encourage Catholics and non-Catholics to join us in encountering the beauty of creation and our Creator. All participants are encouraged to join in group activities such as discussions on faith-based topics or visiting holy sites, but nobody should feel compelled to participate in specifically Catholic traditions and practices.