July 16-19, 2020: Creatio Community 14ers – San Juan Range
Register now – Limited to 12 spots!
Email when this becomes available again
Free – any shared expenses such as gas, group meals, etc. are split and paid to the organizer at the end of the trip.
- Your own food
- Your own gear
- An open mind
- A willingness to meet new people
- A desire to offer a helping hand
The Creatio Community wants to invite you to join them to explore the beauty of one Colorado's most rugged mountain ranges, the San Juan's. Come join Creatio friends for 1, 2, or 3 days of hanging out together at camp or on the trail. Attempts will be made to climb Wetterhorn Peak (14,015ft), Uncompaghre Peak (14, 309ft) and Handies Peak (14,048 ft.)
Creatio Community Experiences
What are they all about?
Creatio Community Experiences are free and open to all young adults (18-39). We are striving to bring our mission of encountering the beauty of creation and the Creator to as many people as possible. These allow us to do that by gathering as friends on local hikes, backpacking excursions, campouts, and other adventures. The only requirement is an open heart and a desire to encounter beauty!
These Experiences differ from our standard Creatio Experiences in that they are not formally guided by Creatio staff. Instead, volunteers, missionaries, and friends all offer a helping hand in making these Experiences happen and costs for gas, food, etc. are split between one another at the end of the trip. The Experience organizer may screen participants to ensure they have the necessary skills, experience, and/or gear necessary to participate.
We are Catholic Christians, however, you do not have to be religious to join on an adventure with us. Members of all faiths or no faith at all are welcome to participate with us! Feel free to talk about faith, life, or whatever else.
Heads-up, the drive down to the San Juan’s, Lake City area is about a 6 hour drive. Because of this commitment, this southwest corner of the state is hardly visited and invites only the intrepid adventurers.
While Creatio cannot officially transport anyone because of COVID regulations, we can encourage best practices and connect you all via email if you want to carpool (hence this email). There will be 2 official departure times from the Denver area, other than that you are on-your-own.
12 P.M. Meet at – 600 Galapago St, Denver, CO 80204 – This group will be going to establish the campsite
4 P.M. Meet at – 600 Galapago St, Denver, CO 80204 – This group will be arriving late, about 10 P.M., and will meet the group at the campsite.
4:30 A.M. Wake-Up, Morning Prayer, Breakfast
5:15 A.M. Begin Combo Hike for Wetterhorn / Uncompaghre (Difficult)
5:00 P.M. Return to Campsite for Dinner and Rest
7:00 P.M. Campfire Sharing, Snacks, and Drinks
Attention: An attempt will be made to climb Wetterhorn (14,015ft) and Uncompaghre Peaks (14, 309ft) (Class 3 & 2 respectively) in the same day, a physical challenge that even the ultra-runners might find worthy. Hikers can choose to summit one or both peaks, or even just hang out at camp.
6:00 A.M. Wake-Up, Morning prayer, Breakfast
7:00 A.M. Depart (in Car) for Handies Trailhead
2:00 P.M. Return to Campsite – Option to Hang-Out 1 more night, or return to Denver
NOTE: There will be a group attempt to summit the manageable but always enjoyable Class 1 Handies Peak (14,048 ft.)
8:00 A.M. Morning Prayer and BIG Breakfast Potluck
10:00 A.M. Return to Denver
Creatio’s spirituality is focused on strengthening the four relationships: relationship with self, with one another, with nature and with God. We encourage all of our missionaries to be open to experience a deepening of these relationships while on our trips.
Creatio takes a holistic approach to improving lives by addressing material and spiritual wellbeing of the people we serve. We do this with a Catholic worldview as our foundation, however, we encourage Catholics and non-Catholics to join us in encountering the beauty of creation and our Creator. All participants are encouraged to join in group activities such as discussions on faith-based topics or visiting holy sites, but nobody should feel compelled to participate in specifically Catholic traditions and practices.
- Tent/ Hammock or other personal sleeping system with Waterproof capabilities
- Cooking Stove (Car Camping)
- Sleeping bag (packable, rated to 30 Degrees F)
- Sleeping pad
- Day Pack for Hiking (20-40L)
- Hiking boots/ shoes
- Camp Sandals (optional, but recommended)
- Non-cotton Dri-Fit Clothing – (1 underwear, 1 extra shirt – minimum)
- Non-cotton socks / Hiking Socks (Merino Wool)
- Hiking Pants and/or shorts (helpful to have non-cotton, also longer pants for cool nights and bugs)
- Layers (Down Jacket / Merino Wool or Fleece layers)
- Rain Jacket (Rain pants if you have them) – storms are unpredictable
- Water Bottles/ Bladder (2-3 L Capacity)
- Hat (Warm)
- Gloves (light)
- Sunglasses, hat
- Headlamp / Flashlight
- Camping bowl/plate and utensils
- Prescription and non-prescription medications (notify Trip Leader)
- Toiletries– toothbrush, toothpaste, contact case and solution (minimum)
- ID (Leave in secure location in backpack)
- Snacks for the hike (Cliff bars, Trail Mix, Candies)
- Optional Items
- Hiking Poles
- Multi-tool and/or Knife
- Phone (Camera)
Health & Safety Information
Here are the best practices we are following in response to the COVID-19 pandemic: (as of 6/23/20)
1. Masks – Masks must be worn at all times within 10ft.
2. Carpooling/ Van Rides – Carpooling/Van Rides to/from starting points will require masks at all times in the vehicle, with every other seat taken, and participants will sanitize hands when getting in and leaving the vehicle.
3. Symptom Checking – Participants must take their temperature 24 hours before and the day of, and report any symptoms to Creatio staff. They cannot participate if they feel ill. Daily symptom checking will be performed on the trip by the trip organizers each morning. Participants showing symptoms will quarantine themselves from the group in a separate tent and maintain as much distance as possible until they can return to their home.
4. Social Distancing – All participants must stay at least 6 feet apart from one another. If for some reason they need to be closer, they must wear masks.
5. Hand Hygiene – All participants are recommended to carry hand hygiene supplies – hand sanitizer (70%) or biodegradable hand soap. All participants will hand wash before and after all meals.
6. Food and Meal Times – When Creatio is providing meals, only guides will prepare meals, will wear gloves and masks. All participants will have their own bowl and spoon, will not share snacks or water, and will not touch each other’s bowls, spoons, or water bottles. After each meal, bowls, spoons, and cookware will be sanitized with boiling water. Otherwise participants will be responsible for their own food preparation and sanitizing without sharing.
7. Tents – All participants will sleep in tents only with members of the same household whenever possible. Tents will be reduced to 50% capacity otherwise, with participants sleeping head-to-toe with space between to maintain distance.
8. Travel Regulations – All participants and leaders will be required to follow government, state, and county regulations regarding travel distances and locations.