About this Trip
Join Creatio on our first ever Adventure Mission serving the poor amidst the beauty of Alaska. You will work alongside Urban Hearts, a catholic non-profit working with the homeless in Anchorage. We ask missionaries to come with open minds and hearts to serve wherever and whoever is most in need.
Along with service, you will get to explore the majestic Alaskan wilderness as Creatio guides lead hiking excursions. We will also have a chance to explore the beauty of the Kenai Peninsula from a unique vantage point while sea kayaking!
This experience combines beauty and service to the poor and the opportunity to grow in relationship with ourselves, others, God and creation.
- All lodging and meals
- Ground transportation
- Half day sea kayaking excursion
- Daily Mass
- Mission project materials
- Creatio guides
- Flights to and from Anchorage
- Personal clothes/gear
- Travel insurance
NOTE ABOUT FLIGHTS
- We allow you to choose your own flight to keep our trip costs as low as possible. The earlier flights are purchased, the better! We recommend checking with www.kayak.com, www.skyscanner.com or www.google.com/flights/ for flight options.
Missionaries will spend a few days working with Urban Hearts, a Catholic non-profit whose mission is to “seek out intentional relationships with the homeless community of Anchorage and invest in personal friendships with them.”
While working alongside Urban Hearts missionaries, we will walk the streets and encounter the homeless in the city.
As the first Creatio missionaries in Anchorage, there is a potential for us to make new connections and find other opportunities to serve throughout the week.
Missionaries will spend a few adventure days hiking and sea kayaking along the stunning Kenai Peninsula. We will see glaciers, Chugach mountains, vast ocean and hopefully some wildlife!
There will also be one-of-a-kind opportunity for exploring Alaska’s epic scenic byways and some of the National Parks in the area.
This adventure mission is physically demanding.
COMMUNITY AND FRIENDSHIP
“Community,” “deep conversation,” “friendship.” Many missionaries chose these words when asked to describe their Creatio Mission experiences in one phrase. Of course, the mission experience is a great opportunity for silence, personal reflection, and soul-searching. But we are made for community, made for an encounter, and much of that soul-searching happens in communion with others. Those conversations that happen while preparing dinner, encountering people on the streets, or helping someone with their blisters (yes, they’re real) may be the ones that help change our lives. Come prepared to live out the beauty of Community!
Creatio’s spirituality is focused on strengthening the four relationships: relationship with self, with one another, with nature and with God. We encourage all of our missionaries to be open to experience a deepening of these relationships while on our trips.
Creatio takes a holistic approach to improving lives by addressing material and spiritual wellbeing of the people we serve. We do this with a Catholic worldview as our foundation, however we encourage Catholics and non-Catholics to join us in encountering the beauty of creation and our Creator. All participants are encouraged to join in group activities such as discussions on faith-based topics or visiting Holy sites, but nobody will be forced to participate in specifically Catholic traditions and practices.
GETTING TO ALASKA
All participants must arrive in Anchorage by 8 PM Friday, August 13. Missionaries will meet Creatio guides in the airport and we will drive to our lodging for the night.
Creatio guides will drop off participants at the airport in Anchorage and return home during the day, Sunday, August 22.
All participants must depart from Anchorage (ANC) after 7PM on Saturday, August 21st or make other arrangements for lodging and travel.
More info regarding exact times will be given as the experience gets closer.
Please wait until we have confirmed your participation in the mission trip to buy your flights. Please contact us if you’d like assistance choosing flights or connecting with other missionaries to travel together. You are responsible for your transportation and lodging should you choose to arrive early or leave later. If your flights are not within the time range given, you will be responsible to change your flight or pay the extra costs attributed to the change (cost of a new flight, transportation, lodging, etc…) Please feel free to communicate any problems you have.
Day 1: Fly to Anchorage
Day 2: Mission day with Urban Hearts
Days 3-5: Adventure days – sea kayaking and hiking!
Day 6-9: Mission days
Day 10: Fly home
* Prepare for limited darkness as the sun sets later than usual in the lower-48 states
* Itinerary is subject to change
Creatio is partnering with St. Therese’s Camp in Wasilla, AK, to ensure all accommodations are satisfactory throughout the trip. St. Therese’s Camp is a Catholic summer camp located on 57 acres in the Mat-Su Valley about 45 minutes from Anchorage.
Because this is a mission trip, conditions may not exactly be 5 star, but basic needs for missionaries will always be met (warm place to sleep, blankets, etc). Lodging accommodations will include bunk beds, showers and kitchen accessibility.
HEALTH AND SAFETY INFORMATION
There are currently no travel restrictions in place to travel to Alaska. The state recommends unvaccinated travelers take a test before traveling to AK, however it is not required.
Free COVID-19 vaccinations are available upon arrival at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.
While serving with Urban Hearts, missionaries will be required to wear masks.
For up-to-date health recommendations for Alaska go to http://dhss.alaska.gov/.
Alaska is a relatively safe area, but missionaries are encouraged to always be aware of their surroundings and belongings.
While in the wilderness there is an opportunity to see wildlife – some that aren’t very friendly. Missionaries will be briefed on safety precautions and protocols in advance led by Creatio guides who are certified Wilderness First Responders.
For more information visit http://alaska.gov/.
- Carry-On Luggage (A backpack/day pack):
- Emergency Contact Information (we will give it to you before you depart)
- Personal debit and credit cards
- Change of clothes
- Medications – in original containers. Bring any special or over-the-counter medications you need with you.
- Personal hygiene items (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc.) – All liquids must be in 3 oz containers or less and all placed in one quart-sized Ziploc bag
- Hand sanitizer
- Spiritual materials – Bible, journal, Rosary, spiritual reading, etc.
- Water bottles (recommend two 32 ounce bottles) – empty to go through security
- Checked Luggage (50 lb max):
- Jeans/pants/shorts, t-shirts, for mission days. We will be doing street walks in Anchorage. Please bring only modest clothes – no tank tops (always have shoulders covered) and shorts knee length or longer.
- Clothes (non-cotton material) for hiking – pants, shorts, shirts
- Nicer clothes for mass, restaurants (decent clothes without holes – “dressy” clothes like skirts and dressy pants aren’t necessary, but you may bring them if you would like)
- Shorts (remember length)
- Light jacket/sweatshirt
- Rain jacket and rain pants (August is a rainy month up in Alaska)
- Sandals with heel strap (Chacos, Tevas, etc.) for sea kayaking
- Hiking boots/shoes
- Tennis shoes or other comfortable footwear for mission days
- Toiletries: Shampoo, toothbrush, baby wipes, etc.
- Small roll of toilet paper
- Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen
- Lip balm and lotion
- Luggage ID tags
- Prescription glasses – If you wear contacts, please be sure to bring your glasses as well.
- Leatherman or knife (checked baggage only)
- Granola bars, power bars, trail mix, Gatorade powder packets, etc.
- Cards or small games for down time
- Sleep mask (it stays light out in Alaska until later in the evening)
Fundraising is optional for this adventure mission and is a great way to involve more people in the experience. Missionaries are able to fundraise a portion or the entirety of their mission costs. If interested, check out our Fundraising Tips.
If you are interested in fundraising for this mission experience, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.